JULY 15TH 2008
"Dance is the most synchronized activity people perform."
~ Scientific American
DON'T MISS THE NEWS BELOW
A NOTE FROM RUSTY
WOW! Bill Elliott -- Hollywood Canteen Dance 8/17 --Tickets
Big Band Weekend Golden Ticket
LBS Table Individual Tickets Special
Tables, 4, 6, or 8, still available
July Nites at the Rhythm Club
CLIP OF THE WEEK
Honolulu - Eleanor Powell
CONTEST OF THE WEEK
Test your knowledge and win a pass to the Rhythm Club
LINDY BY THE SEA NEWS
Info on current and upcoming classes
RUSTY'S RHYTHM CLUB
This week: Hula Hop (Hawaiian) The Fabulous Esquires
Next week: Skip Spiro's Little Big Band - Rhythm Club Debut
Check out our schedule of live music & special events
Save the dates:
~ August 17, The Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra
~ January 4-11, Jump Jive & Sail - Lindy Cruise
Follow all our swingin' activities
SWING SHIFT RHYTHM CLUB NEWS
Loads of Upcoming events
"Fun & Philanthropy" -- Join our club
LINK OF THE WEEK
Neuroscience of Dance! Scientific American Mag
(So don't stop scrolling...)
DARRELL HOPE HAS SOMETHING TO SAY
ABOUT OUR UPCOMING BILL ELLIOTT SWING ORCHESTRA DANCE
Darrell is one of our most enthusiastic dancers and writes beautifully each week in his DWDR = Darrell's Weekly Dance Report. This week he wrote this wonderful piece about my upcoming "A Nite At The Hollywood Canteen" Dance with The Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra.
Darrell spinning me on my birthday last February
DARRELL HOPE'S LETTER:
"The last time Bill Elliott jumped on a plane and headed west, and revived his BILL ELLIOTT SWING ORCHESTRA, we all had a really good time at Rusty Frank's 10th Anniversary Party. Over the last couple of years there have been plenty of rumors flying back and forth about the stamina of the swing movement and whether or not it would be relegated back to the margins due to lack of interest and/or involvement. However, on this evening, you would have been hard pressed to tell whether it was 2008 or 1998 due to the way everybody packed the joint to the rafters and the band and surprise musical guests energized us and took us on a trip back to the days when you had just discovered your love of partner dancing and were happily rewarded by the fact that so were a lot of kindred spirits. Trust me that evening was a shot of pure retro adrenaline that we needed badly here in Los Angeles, and people who missed that party probably still regret it to this day.
So when we you hear that BESO will be back on the west coast performing again in a venue that promises to be even better than the party you missed a few months back, well as Cinderella said to her Fairy Godmother about the ball, "baby, buy the ticket because I've gotta be there!" I know August 17 seems like so far away that you can buy your ticket anytime, but in this economy where every penny counts wouldn't you love to get into the what could be the dance that will surely rival the "dance of the decade" a few months back at a discount? If that's the case then you'd best buy your ticket. [Note from Rusty: Advance Tickets are $30, $35 at the door] Yeah, I know that's only a saving of $5, but think of all the things you could do with that extra cash . You could:
1. Buy a gallon of gas and take your sweetie cruising just for the sheer fun of it.
2. Rent a month's worth of great dance and movies and instructional videos from Netflix enabling you to pick up some slick new moves to show Bill and the gang as they're all getting pretty sick of your old ones.
3. Stop in at a Starbucks and get a triple grand iced mocha capezio cappuccino so that you're so amped up by the time you get to the dance that you'll have enough energy to last the evening.
4. Use it to rent the better looking deluxe tuxedo instead of the one that smells like Uncle Frank's dog Poopsie, and thereby guarantee that you'll look so fine for that evening that all the follows will swoon for you.
5. Give it to a local charity (trust me they're hurting now too) who will gladly take it because these days every little bit truly helps.
6. During the band break, grab the microphone and brandishing the fruits of your frugality, proudly announce, "Lemonade for everybody!"
7. Buy four tickets to the BESO party, save $20 and use it to buy a CD to have a memento of the evening.
8. Pick up a share of Mamakehimstophe'sdoingitagain Productions Inc when it finally goes public, and thus insure your future financial stability and a world of dance.
9. Two words: pony ride. (Yet to meet the potential significant other who can resist that offer!)
10. Tip the hat check girl and thereby lay the foundation for a relationship that was built totally on the fact that grandpa met grandma when he tried to act like a big shot and tipped her $5 and she never let him live it down even to this day in 2047 when their dynasty now stretches nearly to the stars.
So save the fiver and buy your tix when all of the above becomes impossible to THE BILL ELLIOTT SWING ORCHESTRA at the "Hollywood Canteen" Dance on August 17, 2008 at the Mayflower Ballroom- 243 South Hindry, Inglewood. See more info at http://rustyfrank.com."
See you on the dance floor!
ELEANOR POWELL'S HAWAIIAN TAP DANCE
Thanks to Ava Hayworth for sending this one our way to inspire us for our Hula Hop this week at Rusty's Rhythm Club!
THIS WEEK'S CONTEST!!*
The first person to send us an email with the answer to the following wins a free pass to the Rhythm Club for tomorrow nite:*
Name the glamorous lead female singer of The Bill Elliott Swing Orchestra.
Send your answer to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only the weekly winner will receive a response to their Contest Answer.
NOTE: Google is your friend! All the answers are only a Google search away. Have fun and learn about our swing history at the same time.
Name the ports that The Lindy Cruise in January 4-11 will visit.
Grand Caymen, Cozumel, and Montego Bay!
WHY NOT JOIN US????
*Contestants may play as many times as they wish, but may only win the prize once a year. Contestants must use their Rhythm Club pass for the week they won the contest.
SAVE SOME DATES!
WE'VE GOT HIM BACK AND ALL THE FUN!
THE BILL ELLIOTT SWING ORCHESTRA
SUNDAY, AUGUST 17TH
JUMP, JIVE, AND SAIL
THE LINDY CRUISE
JANUARY 4-11, 2009
Well, you've heard all about it now! "Jump, Jive, and Sail" - The LIndy Cruise to the Caribbean. Don't forget, the first 50 people who sign up for this cruise get $50 off their passage. Let's make this an unforgettable trip.
CLICK HERE FOR ALL THE DETAILS!
"Making a difference through swing dancing"
JOIN THE SWING SHIFT RHYTHM CLUB NOW!
Torrance Historical Society Event, Thursday, July 17,'08 5-8 PM
The Torrance Historical Society is holding ... what else? ... a Historical Fair,
featuring exhibits representing WWII. They have tried to get swing dancers to
attend and dance for the past few years for "atmosphere" and hope to be more
successful THIS year.
We will be dancing on the street in front of the Historical Society building to the
DJ's choice of music ('30s-'50s) EXCEPT for between 6pm-6:30pm when we can
give him OUR CHOICE of music; at this point in time we will be directed to a
"stage area" to dance and we "may" be filmed by the local Torrance Cable TV channel.
After we are featured we can stay and watch other performers, and wait to dance
when more swing music is featured (DJ's choice at this point), or we can peruse
the vintage stores and eat at one of the many local restaurants to round out the
evening (still time for Lindy Groove if you haven't had enough!!!).
There will be water available.
Parking will be difficult so be prepared/give yourself some time to get to the
Current participants include:
Reetha Garretty, Catherine Sayer, Katie Albee, Laura Greenlund,
John Apodaca, Scott Giordano, Tony Mercuro, Jeremy Heckman,
Steve Densmore has volunteered to photograph and eat...Jes has volunteered
to shop (spend his money) at the vintage shops...
Any more dancers available?
All Scrapbooks! Click HERE
what the heck a "gate"is? This was a phrase popularized by 1940's comedian,
Jerry Colonna, who would holler it out every time he was introduced on the
Bob Hope radio program. It was a friendly salutation to a swing cat (dancer
or swing music enthusiast). Basically, we swing like a gate!
JOIN THE FUN!
BUT, WHAT THE HECK IS IT?
Many of you still don't know about our Swing Shift Rhythm Club. It's one of our best kept secrets. Now is the time to get the SSRC "above the radar."
THE SWING SHIFT RHYTHM CLUB (SSRC), founded in 2000 by Rusty Frank's swing dance students, The SSRC has two missions:
1. Having fun! (Fun)
2. Doing good deeds! (Philanthropy)
1. Having fun: Events where swing dancers can socialize and get to know each other outside of class (vintage clothes shopping, going to a dance-related movie, dancing in the park, eating at retro restaurants before a dance, etc.).
2. Doing good deeds: Events where we bring swing dancing to hospitals, senior homes, and community events for the purpose of good deeds, entertainment, and education in the Los Angeles area.
The SSRC is a volunteer club open to the public and the events are organized by its members. There are no dues. Members can attend as many or as few events as they wish.
"How do I join?"...
Right now, fill in your email address
and click the Yahoo log (that's it!):