September 14TH 2005
"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing. It's the rhythm of your life. It's the expression in time and movement, in happiness, joy, sadness and envy."
LET'S HAVE A DANCING GREAT TIME AND HELP THE BIRTHPLACE OF JAZZ!
Tonight! Tonight! Tonight! Dress up. Dance to a big band. Have a great time. Get some real cool stuff. And make a difference. What a great way to spend an evening!
Yes, tonight is our Hurricane Relief Fundraiser at Rusty's Rhythm Club.
HURRICANE RELIEF FUNDRAISER AT THE RHYTHM CLUB
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14TH 2005
We've got the Fabulous Esquires Big Band to dance to. It's "Dress Up" nite (I'll be wearing a red velvet gown, and I've heard of at least three guys who are going to wear white tie and tails! -- so go for it!).
And... we've got a terrific list of Raffle and Silent Auction Items for our dance-community fundraiser.
I have been thinking about our effort a great deal. I am always deeply touched when, in the past, we have pulled together to add a little bit more financial aid in times of need. This time it struck me that there is a tight bond for us dancers. Where did the music we dance to originate? Yes, it's early roots were in New Orleans. "The birthplace of jazz." How many times have you heard that phrase linked with New Orleans?
Tonight, as we pull together to help, it is with loving hearts, compassion, and a sense of affinity that we do so.
HOW DOES OUR FUNDRAISER WORK?
WHO IS THE BENEFICIARY?
Okay, I'll start from the top and work my way down.
How Does The Fundraiser Work?
There are three ways you can contribute tonight:
1. Simply bring your check or cash and leave it in our Top Hat at the door stop (where you pay your cover)
2. Buy Raffle tickets to win one of the great prizes (Raffle tickets are $2.00 each).
3. Bid on the Silent Auction items (I have listed all the items below)
Who is the Beneficiary?
The American Red Cross. To be specific - it's Disaster Relief Fund.
Remember, checks should be made payable "The American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund."
In 1989, I was personally rescued by The Red Cross after the San Francisco Earthquake. I watched them become fully operational in 1/2 hour after the quake hit. I utilized their free services on three occasions: I ate from their food kitchen (along with Joe Dimaggio -- another Marina resident), I used their bulletin boards to help an 11-year old girl I found wandering the streets find her parents, and I used their counselling services to understand the impact of post traumatic shock syndrome. Once you've seen The Red Cross and all their volunteers in action, you never forget. To read the complete story click HERE.
RUSTY'S RHYTHM CLUB HURRICANE RELIEF FUNDRAISER
So that you can think ahead of items on which you may wish to bid, we are including the list below. Happy bidding!
GREAT RAFFLE PRIZES
Raffle tickets will be $2.00 each. Bring a pocketful of bills tonight to have a chance on these three great prices:
Full Weekend Pass to Camp Hollywood 2006
Two Full Weekend Passes to Balboa Rendezvous 2006
SILENT AUCTION ITEMS*
* Nicholas Brothers Personally Autographed photo (Fayard Nicholas'll be there to sign it!)
* 6x5 Oak Roll-Up Dance Floor (Value $660, starting bid $300)
* Jammin' With The Greats DVD - Savoystyle.com
* Lindy Hop Poster - Savoystyle.com
* Magnum of Champagne
* Wine & Cheese Basket
* Autographed poster from film star Mitzi Gaynor
* Gold chiffon full length evening gown with matching scarf, size 4 (It's never been worn)
* $105 Stop Stop String Gift certificate
* Autographed souvenir program from film star Mitzi Gaynor
* Two framed black & white swing dance photos
* Two Tickets to Sea World
* Two Passes to the Magic Castle
* Two sets Swing Dance Clips Extravaganza DVD s - SLO Swing
* Bill Nye gift set: Three books & autographed photo
* Bill Nye gift set: DVD & autographed photo & Nyelabs hat
* Six A&E Biography Video Package (Paul Newman, Audrey Hepburn, Henry Fonda, Dinah Shore, Ron Howard, and Harrison Ford)
* $50 Gift Certificate from Revamp
* $100 Ft. MacArthur Gift Pack (books, dvds)
* Billibong Shorts with Beads
* Fabulous Esquires Big Band cds
* Three bottles of Chateau Potelle's VGS wines
* Bottle of 2004 Justin Justification wine
* Vintage designer suit, wool gabardine, size 4
* Tea for Two at Paddington's Tea Room in Beverly Hills!
* Fort MacArthur Gift Set: Books, DVD, shirt, etc.
* "Walt Disney Takes You to Disneyland" Audio CD
* Jedi Mickey Mouse Bean Bag Plush
* Official Davy Crockett Coonskin Cap
* Disneyland Monorail Board Game
* Disneyland 50th Anniversary Cloisonne Pin
* Disneyland Resort Pin Set
* 8x10 Autographed Photo of Mickey & Minnie
* 18x24 Art-on-Demand Print of Sleeping Beauty Castle on Canvas
AND THERE'S MORE!
*How Does A Silent Auction Work?
For those of you who don't know how a silent auction works, here's a brief description. The items will be displayed in the bar area at the Rhythm Club. There will be sheets of papers in front of each item, with a starting bid price. You then write your name and bid that will be somewhat higher than that bid. The next person who wants that item puts their name and somewhat higher bid on the line under yours. And so on. Pretty soon we've raised a bunch of money!
This Week's Celebrations
If it's your birthday this week, just let us know at the Rhythm Club so you can get your birthday dance!