Ginger Rogers & Fred Astaire
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"Don't be nervous. It's only a dance we have to do. It's nothing to worry about."
SAVE THE DATE:
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1ST
A SWINGIN' SYMPOSIUM!
By popular demand, we are offering our Swingin' Symposium! This workshop is one of our most popular, and we have brought it across the country and around the world. It's a fantastic two-part package: the first half of the workshop is devoted to showing you fantastic film clips of swing music and dancers from 1928 up to the present. The second half is an amazing, hands-on class in understanding the structure of swing music and how to use that knowledge to help you dance more musically and "hit the breaks" in the music. All in all, a great workshop for ALL dancers of ALL levels. If you only plan to get to one workshop from us, make it this one! For more details on this workshop, check out http://swingshiftontap.com/symposium.htm
RUSTY AND PETER'S RHYTHM CLUB!
YES! WE'RE OPEN
7:30-8:00pm Beginner's East Coast Swing
8:00-11:30 Dance! Dance! Dance!
Come work up an appetite before the big Thanksgiving feast! We're definitely open and hope that you'll join us. For those of you who were with us last week, we were treated to an amazing debut performance by Jeremy Koonce and Deborah Gitt of the routine which they will be dancing in the U.S. Open dance competition this weekend. We are thrilled to announce that Jeremy and Debbie will be back again this week to perform the routine for us, and we are looking forward to it!!! We hope that everyone will join us in cheering on this incredibly talented dance duo and help get them excited about the upcoming competition! It's another great opportunity for everyone to again see some of the finest swing dancing talent anywhere, performing right in our own venue!!! Make sure to plan on being there to see it.
Full details, click http://www.swingshiftontap.com/rhythmclub.asp;
Directions, click NEW SURVEY ASKS:
ARE YOU A SWING-A-HOLIC?
Special thanks for this hysterical little survey goes to Tom "Tomasito" Buechler for passing it along to us to share with everyone! Take time to see where you stand...
ARE YOU A DANCE-A-HOLIC?
Is dancing taking over your life? Have you heard whispers among your friends that you're becoming obsessed with dance? Take this simple test, or take it on behalf of someone you care about. However painful it might be, it's time you faced the truth!
Count 1 point for every YES answer:
1. You listen to dance music at times when you cannot possibly dance, e.g., on your car stereo, on your disc-man in airplanes, etc. Give yourself an additional point if you have actually taken your hands off the steering wheel while driving to snap your fingers or clap your hands at the spot in the music where you would snap/clap if you were dancing. Ten extra points if you've had a wreck because you were so overwhelmed by the music that you forgot you were driving.
2. You practice steps (either consciously or subconsciously) when you are not actually dancing, for example, moving your feet under your desk at work, standing in line at the grocery store, in front of the mirror in a public restroom. Extra point for each time in the last month someone has caught you doing it.
3. When you are debating whether to buy a new article of clothing, a chief factor in the decision is whether or not you can wear it dancing.
4. You have heated discussions with other dancers over the proper role of aerials.
5. You go to non-dance social functions with other dancers but you cannot carry on a conversation for longer than 15 minutes without talking about dance. (This includes gossiping about people in dance class).
6. You have to explain at least once a week that you missed some over-hyped television program, a business function or social event because it conflicted with dance class. Extra point if you find yourself lying to friends or co-workers about dancing ("Um, I'm really tired. I think I'll go home early tonight. Probably take the phone off the hook so don't even try and call.")
For the rest of this great survey, click on http://www.lindyhopswing.com/humor_swingtest.asp
GREAT END-OF-SERIES PARTY!!!
Last night saw another great end-of-series party in Manhattan Beach, with loads of our dancing friends coming out to dance the night away with us from 7pm until 10pm with terrific swing music and laughter! Some old friends we hadn't seen in awhile returned, among them Lisa Moise...glad to have her back with us finally! And we had an outstanding birthday dance for Jessica, Julie and Kimmy, followed by a lively and crazy Steal Dance! All in all, it was another great evening of swing with everyone, and we hope to see you all at the next on December 16th! Remember, these dances are always FREE and open to EVERYONE of ALL AGES, so invite anyone you think might be interested in this swing stuff! For more information, click on http://www.swingshiftontap.com/lbseos.htm!
LINK OF THE WEEK
This week's link is devoted to the U.S. Open Swing Dance Championships being held this Thanksgiving weekend in Anaheim! This is a HUGE dance event, and there is a Lindy Hop section which Rusty and Peter will be attending to cheer on their pals who are competing!!! It promises to be a spectacular event, so if you are interested, click on http://www.usopensdc.com/schedule.html and check out the schedule, as well as links to ticket information and much more!!! There is a $60 day pass. Included in that, a Lindy Hop dance room that will be open during the day for social dancing inbetween the competition rounds. The Lindy Hop part of the competition will take place from 4:30-6:30pm. But we really recommend going for the day and watching the other competitons, as well, such as Carolina Shag in particular.
See you soon!
Rusty and Peter
HAVE YOU JOINED THE SWING
SHIFT RHYTHM CLUB?
Members of the Swing Shift
Rhythm Club at
Shriners Children's Hospital, LA